Home News County Council Department Favorites
Administrative Services

Legal Claims Against San Juan County

Effective July 26, 2009, a state law is effective that changes the tort claim filing requirements for tort claims against state and local government entities, including San Juan County (County). See Engrossed Substitute House Bill 1553 (ESHB 1553). For more information on the law, see the State Office of Financial Management’s website at http://www.ofm.wa.gov/rmd/tort/default.asp.

Pursuant to Chapter 4.92 RCW, if you are notifying the County of a tort claim, you must use the State’s standard tort claim form. You can download and print the claim form by Clicking Here. This standard tort claim form is authorized to be filed with the County. If you do not use the standard tort claim form, the County must reject your claim. If your claim is not against San Juan County, but against the State or another local government entity, you must file the claim form with the State or the registered agent for the local government entity.

Exception: If your claim involves injuries from health care, your claim is exempt from the tort claim filing requirements set forth in this part. You must use the procedures set forth in chapter 7.70 RCW. See ESHB 1553. For tort claims against San Juan County, you must mail or deliver in person the original, signed standard tort claim form to the San Juan County Auditor at:

San Juan County Auditor’s Office
Office Address: 350 Court Street, 1st floor
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 638
Friday Harbor, WA. 98250
Business Hours: 10:00 – 4:00

The Auditor’s Office can only accept original, signed claim forms for filing. Pursuant to the new law, the Auditor’s Office cannot accept a copy, fax, or e-mail of the claim form.

For further questions regarding filing the standard tort claim form, please call San Juan County’s Risk Manager at (360)370-7401.