The tobacco industry has been spending $6.73 billion each year on advertising
and is now increasing that amount to over $ 8.4 BILLION!
How susceptible are you to this persuasion?
Take the MEDIA IQ TESTand learn how this works:
1. The primary purpose of most media, including TV, Newspapers, Magazines, Radio, is to:
A. Educate you about your health
B. Entertain you
C. Inform you about world events
D. Deliver you, the audience, to the advertisers.
2. Which one of the following tells you that nicotine is NOT addictive?
A. Your family doctor
B. The Center for Disease Control
C. The tobacco industry
D. Your dentist
3. The tobacco industry claims that the $8.5 billion spent on advertising increases the amount of people using tobacco.
4. Following the introduction of Joe Camel, income from sales to minors rose from $6 million to:
A. $10 million
B. $50 million
C. $150 million
D. $470 million
5. Tobacco advertising promotes and maintains nicotine addiction among children & adolescents.
6. The 3 brands of cigarettes most popular with teenagers are the same 3 brands most heavily advertised.
7. Cigarettes are the only advertised product that is lethal when used as directed.
8. Learning to be Media Literate is:
A. Learning to choose, understand, evaluate, create & respond thoughtfully to the media we consume.
B. Knowing how media work, how they produce meaning, & how they construct reality.
C. Practicing mindful viewing and reflective judgement.
D. All of the above.