Home News County Council Department Favorites

Real Property Taxes

First half taxes are due by April 30. If payment is late, total amount of tax becomes delinquent resulting in interest and penalty calculated on entire amount due for the year. Second half taxes become delinquent after October 31. Postmarks are accepted as payment date.

If total tax for the year is less than $50.00, the entire amount must be paid by April 30.

Your canceled check is your receipt. Checks accepted are subject to collection. Non-payment by bank voids receipt. Returned check charge $25.00. Resolution # 217-1981 12/1/81.

Interest on delinquent tax is computed monthly from the date of delinquency to the date of payment at the rate per annum prescribed by law. (1% per month).

Penalty of three percent is assessed on the amount of tax delinquent on June 1 of the year in which the tax is due. An additional penalty of eight percent is assessed on the total amount of tax delinquent on December 1 of the year in which the tax is due.

When paying any delinquent tax after calculation date, contact this office (360) 378-2171 for correct interest and penalty due. Delinquent payments received for incorrect amounts will be returned.

Credit card payments are now accepted online for Personal Property and Real Property taxes. You must enter your parcel number and the exact amount due, including any interest or penalty. After authorization of your payment, you will be given a confirmation number that you should keep for your records. There will be a fee charged for this service by PointAndPay.Net. They accept American Express, MasterCard, Visa, and Discover Cards.

credit cards

Senior Citizens and Disabled Persons. If you own and occupy a residence or mobile home, are 61 years of age or older, or retired because of disability and have income of $35,000.00 or less you may be entitled to a property tax exemption. (RCW 84.36.385) You must, however, report changes which affect the status of the tax exemption to the county assessor or you may be liable for back taxes, interest and penalties. For application forms and further information, contact the San Juan County Assessor at PO Box 1519, Friday Harbor, Wa 98250-1519 or call (360) 378-2172

Taxes Paid Under Protest: To preserve your right to seek a court ordered refund, you must comply with requirement of the law (RCW 84.68.020 and WC 458.18.215). Please contact the Assessor's Office (360-378-2172) for further details.

Real Property Taxes Delinquent for 3 Years are Subject to Foreclosure (RCW 84.64.050)

Questions --

Assessor: (360) 378-2172 Assessed Valuation, Tax Exemptions, Levy Rates, Close of Business, Legal Description
Treasurer: (360) 378-2171 Mobil Home movement permit, Delinquent Tax, Interest Charges, Change of Address, Excise Tax