- Feature Links
- Mission Statement
Provide those public services necessary for the health, safety, and general well-being of the citizens of San Juan County.
Strive to preserve the heritage of the islands, both environmentally and culturally.
Serve taxpayers by managing public programs effectively and at the lowest cost.
Recognize that county employees and citizen volunteers are the foundation upon which these services are provided.
Deliberate and conduct the activities of government in a way that is ethical, fair, just, and impartial.
The Government of San Juan County Shall:
- Conduct the public's business in a manner which is responsive, accessible and open to county citizens
- Provide a level of service which is affordable to county taxpayers and which complies with legal mandates
- Encourage a strong local economy consistent with our rural lifestyle
- Protect our physical environment as our most precious natural resource
- Recognize that proper stewardship of our islands for future generations is the responsibility of all our citizens
- Recognize that the unique qualities and differences of each island are appreciated and encouraged
- Recognize and protect private property rights
- Recognize and foster private property responsibilities
- Support volunteerism and "Neighbors helping neighbors" as basic tenets of island life
- Recognize that independence, self reliance, privacy and personal freedom are values treasured by islanders
- Recognize that young families need consideration on issues of affordable housing, jobs, services and recreational opportunities