2036 Comprehensive Plan Update
Background and Purpose
The Comprehensive Plan is the centerpiece of local planning in the County. Like a business plan, the Comprehensive plan provides the framework for how our community will grow.
The Growth Management Act (RCW 36.70A) requires counties and cities to conduct a mandatory “periodic update” at least once every eight years. San Juan County is currently in the process of completing a periodic update.
There are three primary purposes of the update:
- Review plan and regulations and bring them up to date
with any relevant changes to state law and the Growth
Management Act (GMA);
- Respond to changes in land use and population; and
- Address any local preferences or needs.
Roadmap to Adoption in 2022
The Comprehensive Plan update is slated to be adopted by the end of 2022. The following is a timeline of major remaining steps that still need to be completed before adoption.
- Planning Commission Comprehensive Plan Update Public Hearing, excluding Official Maps: July 15, 2022
- Planning Commission Comprehensive Plan Update Official Maps Public Hearing: August 19, 2022
- County Council briefings on the Planning Commission’s recommended draft Comprehensive Plan Update: Late Summer - Fall 2022
- County Council public hearings: Late Fall 2022
To view the latest drafts of the Comprehensive Plan Elements and Appendices, please visit the Comprehensive Plan Update Current Drafts page.
The Planning Commission’s public hearing on the Comprehensive Plan Update (excluding Official Map changes) is scheduled for July 15, 2022.
Staff reports, presentations, and public comments related to Comprehensive Plan Elements and Appendices are posted on the Comprehensive Plan Elements page.
The Comprehensive Plan Update includes proposed changes to the Official Maps. Proposals include land use designation changes, residential density increases, addition and removal of map overlays, and urban growth area expansions. Map changes have been requested by individual property owners as well as government bodies within the county.
The Planning Commission’s public hearing on Official Map changes is scheduled for August 19, 2022.
View proposed map changes:
The Comprehensive Plan Update will be adopted by ordinance. The draft ordinance will be posted here at least 14 days prior to the Planning Commission hearing.
How to Participate
- Review the Plan element drafts and proposed Official Map changes and send comments to: email@example.com.
- Attend public meetings and public hearings online and in-person in Friday Harbor to make comments during public access and to provide testimony during public hearings. Planning Commission meeting information is available HERE. County Council meeting information is available HERE.
- If you would like to be notified of opportunities to participate the update process, please sign up for notifications under the heading “News Flash” and "Comprehensive Plan Update" here: http://sanjuanco.com/list.aspx . Individual notices of events and opportunities will also be sent to print and online newspapers and blogs, posted on the County website and otherwise broadly distributed.
QUESTIONS? Contact Sophia Cassam, Planner II at firstname.lastname@example.org or (360) 370-7589.
News Flash Center
Current active News Flash announcements will be posted below.