Critical Areas & Pre-Applications
See our Critical Area page for information, to request a critical area and archaeology review, and more.
Brief consultations (15 minutes or less) regarding projects that are underway or prospective land use developments can be obtained by submitting an Ask a Question/Request Assistance form. In-depth consultations (more than 15 minutes) and site visits prior to the submittal of applications must be scheduled and incur $450 fee, Use the Residential Pre-application form below to initiate scheduling a longer consultation.
- Permit instructions Start to Finish for the SJC Permit Center
- Important Notice to Applicants
- Critical Area Information | Email general requests with subject "Critical Area Review request for TPN: #############"
- Ask A Question/Request Assistance (formerly 'Ask a Planner')
- Site Plan Instructions
- Site Plan
- SIMPLE site plan instructions for single trade permits
- Site Section (Site Profile)
- Construction Drawings
- SJC road requirements and turnaround info
- SJC Fire apparatus turn around info
Converting a garage to living space
Prepare forms before you submit
The following information and assistance is provided to help you with your permit application:
- The checklist that DCD staff uses to determine a complete building permit application is available for your reference.
- Existing septic and water information is now available online. Water and septic applications and fees go directly to the Health Department at PO Box 607, Friday Harbor, WA 98250.
- Determine land use and shoreline designation information and parcel numbers for your property using Polaris Mapping software. You will need to tailor "Map Contents" to add various layers of information.
- There are Structures Exempt from Building Permits; however, they are not exempt from critical areas or archaeology requirements. If you have any questions about whether your property is subject to critical areas or archaeology requirements, please confirm with our Ask A Question/Request Assistance form.
When you are ready to submit:
You may need to provide an estimated valuation of your project. This includes materials and labor, such as electrical, gas, fixtures, cabinetry, mechanical and plumbing equipment, and permanent systems. The valuation does not include the land, septic, or water systems.
For Building Permit Applications:
- ALL Building permits are submitted online via the SJC Permit Center.
- Building permit fees are determined by valuation of the building. A portion of the total fee (known as the plan review fee) is due at submittal. The remainder of the fee is due upon issuance of the permit.
- When review is complete and the permit is ready to issue, the final building permit valuation will be set by the building official, to determine the remainder of the fees due for issuance, and you will be notified of fees and that your permit is ready to issue.
For Land Use Applications:
- Land Use projects use one master form, but there is a checklist of additional information required for each type of application.
- Fees for land use applications are due at the time of application and can be found in the fee schedule (pp 3 & 4).
Additional Building & Land Use Information
- 2018 Energy code info
- Archaeology Informational Bulletin
- Building and Land Use Permitting Fees - PDF
- Clearing and Grading Checklist
- Construction Regs and Design Criteria 2018 codes
- Land Division Checklist (PDF)
- Land Use Application Checklist (PDF)
- Land Use & Shoreline Checklist (DOC)
- Land Use Reviews Of OSS Permits
- DCD Electronic permitting requirements and instruction for application JUNE 2021
- Deck Guide DCA6 2015
- IRC Visual interpretation of stair codes (2018)
- Residential IRC application checklist (2022)
- Structures Exempt From Building Permits
- Wetlands Informational Bulletin