Assessor’s Office response to the evolving COVID-19 Outbreak:May 26, 2020
Appraisers for the Assessor’s Office are continuing on-site inspections as required to complete the 2020 valuation process. We are following the rules and recommendations of the Governor and San Juan County Health Officer in order to keep a safe and healthy work environment for employees and the public. Appraisers will not enter homes and will wear masks and maintain physical distance at all times during inspections. Though our office is closed to the public, the staff is working and can be reached via mail, phone or e-mail.
General and Assessment Inquiries
To access virtual services for general and assessment inquiries, you can contact the Assessor’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-378-2172.
Submission of Paperwork (applications, renewals, personal property listings, etc.)
Current Use and DFL Programs
Paperwork such as applications, status renewals, or responses to questionnaires can be scanned and emailed or may be submitted by regular mail to PO Box 1519, Friday Harbor, WA 98250. Paperwork may also be dropped in a secure dropbox labeled “Assessor” located next to the Sheriff’s Office. Please put all paperwork deposited in the dropbox in an envelope.
Exemptions and Tax Relief Programs
Business Personal Property
For questions regarding Business Personal Property, please contact Annie Minich at email@example.com or 360-370-7530. The due date for filing the Listings is April, 30, 2020. Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, late filing penalties will be waived as long as the Listing is received by May 31, 2020.
Thank you in advance for your understanding as we work through this period together. In the meantime, please stay safe and take care of yourself and your loved ones.
Role and Mission
The Assessor's primary responsibility is to identify and assign a taxable value (assess) to all real and tangible business personal property within San Juan County and certify the annual tax roll with the Washington Department of Revenue (DOR) in accordance with State law. Additional responsibilities include the maintenance of all associated property records, the administration of current use and exemption programs, and the annual notification to property owners of a change in their appraised property value.
Property taxes allow our community to benefit from services like schools, libraries, parks, health services, fire protection, and law enforcement. The Assessor administers the assessment process so that taxes are paid equitably according to State law. The San Juan County Assessor's Office is committed to a process that is professional, fair and clearly understood.
Assessor's Office Activities and Responsibilities
- Inspects all real property on a six-year cycle, with annual inspections for active new construction.
- Assigns taxable value to all real property every year based on information obtained from inspections, historical information, and a comprehensive statistical analysis of market value.
- Notifies property owners when there is a change in the appraised value of their property.
- Administers tax relief and tax deferral programs for senior citizens, disabled persons, veterans and limited income families.
- Administers Current Use Programs (Farm and Agriculture, Open Space and Timber Land) and Designated Forest Land Programs.
- Monitors and assigns taxable value to business personal property every year based on information obtained from business owners and DOR audits.
- Maintains mapping systems to reflect the most current boundary line modifications and property divisions.
- Maintains ownership records to reflect the most current sales and other transfers of interests.
- Reviews the budget of all taxing districts and calculates levy rates according to statutory guidelines.
The Assessor's Office is Not Responsible for the Following Activities
- Mailing tax statements (contact the Treasurer's Office)
- Collecting / providing status of tax payments (contact the Treasurer's Office)
- Maintaining recorded documents (contact the Auditor's Office)
- Determining / approving budgets for tax purposes