Permits & Forms

Permit Application Forms

The Department of Community Development administers most permits for San Juan County, including Right of Way permits. Please visit their Permitting web page for more information, or check out the San Juan County Online Permit Center. For direct inquiries to Community Development, contact

Right of Way Permits

Required for all work within the County Right of Way (ROW), including driveways, utilities and property improvements. Administered under San Juan County Code 12.04, 12.16, and 18.60.090, as well as authorized by the County Engineer. All permit applications and associated fees are submitted to the Department of Community Development. Click on the links below for the ROW permit application, a list of general contractors approved to work in the ROW, guidance documents, and standard plans:

ROW Permit Application (Submit w/payment to San Juan County Department of Community Development.)

ROW Permit Standard Conditions

Contractors Approved to Work in County ROW

Private Use of ROW - Fences, Landscaping, Signs

Standard Plans 120-330 

Oversize Vehicle Permits

Required for all vehicles traveling on County roads that exceed the size or weight restrictions in Chapter 46.44 RCW. Administered under San Juan County Code 10.12 and authorized by the County Engineer. Oversize Vehicle Permit applications may be submitted directly to the Department of Public Works.