Stable affordable housing is the foundation upon which community members build fulfilling lives. San Juan County Health & Community Services works together with many community partners and the in an effort to provide housing solution and reduce homelessness in our community.
Our affordable housing program manages a variety of state grants and local recording surcharge funds designated for affordable housing. We provide limited direct housing assistance (Homeownership Assistance Program) and services. Our primary focus is working with and maintaining relationships with local providers of affordable housing. For additional information, see the Affordable Housing Frequently Asked Questions document.
In March 2016, the County Council authorized a Workgroup to develop an Affordable Housing Strategic Action Plan. The goal was to develop four to six prioritized actions to address housing issues. Actions were to consider all areas including: regulatory, funding, infrastructure costs, and land costs. The Workgroup held five meetings between March and November 2016 to develop the plan. After receiving a recommendation from the Housing Bank Commission, on March 21st, 2017 the County Council adopted resolution no. 13-2017 which officially adopted the San Juan County Affordable Housing Workgroup Strategic Action Plan.
Programs we provide include:
- Award funds to organizations and providers of low-income housing.
- Provide rental subsidies directly to Apartment Management Companies for qualifying low-income residents.
- Conduct, with the assistance of numerous volunteers, the annual Point in Time Count of homeless people.
- Administer the Loan Program for First Time Homebuyers.
- Provide staff support to the Housing Bank Commission, an advisory board to the county council