What types of permits are available and their restrictions

1. Standard Residential Building permit: Most common permit type for Single Family Residence (SFR) built using the International Residential Building Code (IRC). This will cover a 1 or 2 family residence or accessory structure 35’ in height *(max) and 3 stories tall. Standard building and energy codes apply.

2. Commercial Building permit:  This permit involves new construction AND changes in occupancy from one class to another for commercial uses like: Offices, Mercantile, Assembly, Retail, Storage, or Hazardous occupancy. ALL occupancy classes will be governed by the International BUILDING Code (IBC) and WA state commercial energy code.

3. Remodel/Addition permit: Same as above, just smaller in scope. May have the same application and permit document requirements depending on size of project.

4. Plumbing/Mechanical permit, or Single trade: Single trades like adding a LPG tank and heater, or new furnace or water heater. Typically only involves the Plumbing or Mechanical aspect of the codes. If you are adding square footage, or remodeling a house, use standard building permit (Residential or Commercial)

5. Demo Permit: Removes a structure completely. Demo permits are required to remove the structure from the tax assessor’s inventory. Moved structures require Demo permits.

6. Moved structure permit: Used when moving an existing approved building to a new location, even when on the same lot. Permission to move on County roads is required. Moved structure will require permitting and approval PRIOR to placing at new location.

7. Revision: Permit to revise or change scope of work from approved plans. Revisions are required when; adding new sq/ft,  or height of building, siting the building at a different location on the same lot, changing number of bedrooms or egress, adding fixtures not previous approved, and changing the construction of the building which requires new plan review (like changing roof type, or revised engineering).

8. Owner Builder: (standard-Occupied structure)  and OB Exempt(non-occupied structure): San Juan County is unique in that we offer a different permit type in which the owner can build their own building and it is exempt from the structural parts of the IRC. 15.04.540 governs the construction of Owner built structures in San Juan County. There are some restrictions, please refer to the county code for details.

Applications can be found here: Permit applications.

Show All Answers

1. What are the Design Criteria and building codes for San Juan Couny, WA
2. I would like to build something, where do I begin?
3. What types of permits are available and their restrictions
4. I don't know which documents I need, is there a checklist?
5. Energy Code?
6. How do I apply?